The looks of a classic beef stew, made with potatoes, carrots, onions, and chunks of beef gone Mexican style! Add in the spice of Rotel, taco seasoning, and both pinto and black beans, and you have put a new twist on Taco Tuesday! Make it on your stove top or in your crock pot. Top it with sour cream, cheese and corn chips!
Beef stew is one of our favorite comfort foods. Here on my site, you will find the one we use most often, Mulligan Stew. It’s simple to make, stove top or crock pot, and is always a family favorite.
Switching things up a bit is always fun, right? How about this new twist on Beef Stew for Taco Tuesday??
All of the heartiness of traditional beef stew, with the spice of a good Mexican style meal!
And it’s all in one pot!
Chunks of potatoes and carrots, plus two cans of beans, both pinto and black add to the heartiness, and dare I say, healthiness of this recipe.
It’s perfect for weeknights, or any night, really. Cooks on your stove top in a little under an hour, and can be tossed in the crock pot for an easy meal to come home to.
My kids came over to the stove while it was simmering to steal a taste. It sort of plays tricks on you! It smells like you’re making tacos, lift the lid, you see stew, one taste and you’re back to tacos again … it’s the perfect combination of two of our favorite meals!
Spoon it into a bowl and top it with sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and corn chips!
I think this would be AWESOME for tailgating this fall! Don’t you?
However or wherever you serve it, just give this one a try! You’re sure to get rave reviews!
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- olive oil
- flour, salt and pepper, for dredging
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 packet taco seasoning mix
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel + one can water
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1½ cups diced carrots
- 3-4 large potatoes. peeled and diced
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can Pinto beans
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can black beans
- Shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and corn chips for serving
- In a dutch oven, heat a couple of Tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Salt and Pepper about ⅔ cup of flour and spread on a plate. Dredge stew meat in flour and add to hot oil. Brown on all sides. When it's almost completely browned, add in onion. Cook for about 5 more minutes. Add in Rotel, water, taco seasoning and tomato paste and stir to combine. Add in carrots and potatoes. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook until carrots and potatoes are desired tenderness. About 30 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Add in both cans of beans. Stir and cook for another 5 minutes.
- If the sauce isn't thick enough, you can thicken by stirring in ¼ cup cornstarch dissolved in ¼ cup water.
- Spoon into bowls and top with cheese, sour cream and corn chips. Great with corn bread!
- To make in the crock pot: After meat and onion are browned, add to crock pot, add all of the ingredients, minus the beans and the toppings, stir to combine, cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours. Add in beans, cook for another 30 minutes. Thicken if necessary. Serve with toppings.
Switch up your #TacoTuesday this week!