Butter lettuce, crisp cucumbers and carrots, shrimp and rice noodles tossed with herbs, salted peanuts and a sesame soy dressing — make a meal out of this one!
This salad literally has everything I love. It’s packed with so much flavor it’ll be on the menu time and time again.
I know salads are typically for summer … but as much as I love comfort food, salads are really appreciated anytime of the year around here. Especially one like this. No wimpy salad here, friends!
I used to follow a site called Thug Kitchen. A while back they came out with a cookbook. I LOVE buying cookbooks, but, I will be honest, I rarely make stuff from them. How weird is that? Recently, I was thumbing through my Thug Kitchen cookbook and dog-eared some recipes to try. First on the list was this salad.
I switched it up some. I added the shrimp, and didn’t use the mint it called for. They had a homemade dressing option, but the one I used is a favorite of mine, so I figured, why change goodness? Then, I totally meant to serve it with lime wedges, but I was so excited to eat it after taking pictures for you, I forgot!
Look at all of the COLOR! I get darn near giddy when my plate is full of color, don’t you? Who wants to eat food with no pizzazz?
The carrots and the cucumbers were supposed to be matchstick sliced. Mine were a little larger. I never bragged about my knife skills! 😉
This is my favorite Asian dressing. It’s my go-to. I use it for stir-frying, making Asian slaw, marinading beef, fish and chicken, and of course on salads.
So .. this week, move away from the colorless boring foods .. challenge yourself to eat in color!
- 1.5 pounds shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed
- 2 packages butter lettuce
- 8-10 ounces Maifun or thin rice noodles, prepared
- 2 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced, peel left on
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup sliced green onion
- ½ cup roasted salted peanuts , roughly chopped
- Asian Sesame Dressing
- Lime wedges for serving
- Cook noodles per package instructions. Rinse under cold water until cool to the touch, set aside.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, add about 3-4 Tablespoons of dressing and toss in the shrimp. Cook, stirring constantly for about 4 minutes, or until shrimp turn pink and are cooked. Set aside.
- To serve: Divide the noodles between six plates, forming a pile in the center. Divide lettuce arranging it in a circle around the noodles on each plate. Do the same with the cucumbers, carrots, basil and cilantro. Divide shrimp between plates. Sprinkle green onions and peanuts over the top. Drizzle with dressing and serve.
- Serve with lime wedges if desired.
Love Shrimp? Check out some more of our favorite shrimp recipes!
Order a copy of Thug Kitchen’s Cookbook for yourself! (affiliate link)