Bean soup with a Southwestern flair. You will enjoy the heartiness of this soup, and how it’s simply made in the slow cooker.
This is one of those recipes you are going to be so happy to have.
Not only is it delicious and hearty — but it’s all done in the slow cooker.
Perfect for busy days.
The night before you plan to cook this, you simply soak your pinto beans, then the next morning, everything is dumped in the slow cooker, and cooks low and slow all day. When you walk in the house — you will be welcomed by an aroma that will have you counting down the minutes to dinner.
Make it your own by the toppings you add to it when you serve it. I loved mine with a sprinkling of fresh cilantro and green onions. My kids loaded it up with those things as well as some shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream.
We served warm flour tortillas on the side.
You can make this recipe vegetarian, but just changing the stock from beef or chicken to vegetable. I used beef stock when I made mine, the recipe I was following suggested chicken stock.
I got this recipe from Cookin’ Mimi, my assigned blog for The Secret Recipe Club. I did my very first post for the SRC in March of 2014. I don’t know if I have ever missed a month? I always look forward to my posts each month, because it has not only allowed me to cook/bake outside my comfort zone, it’s introduced me to SO MANY food bloggers I would have most likely never met. This post will be my last for the club, because after giving it much thought, they are not going to have one anymore. I am really going to miss this!! Before we get on to the recipe, I want to take a minute to thank a couple of people; Sarah Ellis, who heads up the club and Camilla Mann, hostess for my group. These two ladies have always been so helpful, and they take a lot of time to make these events happen. So, THANK YOU for all of the fun times and good food.
Here is a little more about my assigned blog Cookin’ Mimi. Micha is the writer and recipe developer. She is a Southern Californian with Southern roots. You will find Southern home cooking, American food as well as a sprinkling of delicious ethnic recipes on Micha’s blog. I would love to try this Southern Style Corn Bread next. It would have paired nicely with this soup, too!
Let’s get to the recipe!
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried pinto beans
- 5 cups water
- 1 (32 ounce) container beef broth - can substitute chicken or vegetable
- 1 large onion, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 14.5 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- Optional items for serving: fresh cilantro, green onions, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese
- Place the beans in a bowl and cover with 5 cups of water. Soak overnight. Drain the beans and rinse.
- Place beans, broth, onion and spices in the slow cooker. Cover and set to low. Cook for 8-hours on low or 4 on high.
- You may find you need to add more liquid, as all slow cookers vary. I added about 2 more cups of beef stock to mine, to give us more broth.
- minutes before serving, add the tomatoes and cover until ready.
- Slightly mash your beans, leaving some whole.
- Serve with toppings of choice..
See all of my posts over the last 2 1/2 years in the Secret Recipe Club right here.