Are you looking for a new appetizer? These Sauerkraut Balls are delicious, and even the “anti-kraut” guests will rave. Made with bratwurst, cream cheese, spices and Frank’s Kraut. Rolled in bread crumbs and fried until crispy!
Thank you to Frank’s Kraut for sponsoring this post. Know that the opinions in this post and the love for their sauerkraut is all my own. Please support the brands that make An Affair from the Heart possible.
It’s a silly name for a super good appetizer!
I am telling you — even those that claim to not be fans of sauerkraut (crazies!! 😉 ) will love these Sauerkraut Balls.
Who can’t use a new appetizer? Especially around the holidays! These bite sized little guys are super easy to throw together, and you can even make them ahead and freeze them until you need them.
Of course the BEST way to make them is with Frank’s Kraut.
“Frank’s Kraut provides nutrition and adds zest to any meal. Made with only 3 ingredients – Cabbage, Salt and Water – Frank’s Kraut is Gluten Free, Low Calorie, and a tasty addition to any family meal. Traditionally hand made in the same oak vats from the turn of the century!”
Try all three of their flavors: Classic, Bavarian (sweetened with sugar and caraway seeds), and
Polish Style (caraway seeds).
Simply take bratwurst from the casing and brown in a skillet with some onion. Add to it Frank’s Kraut that has been drained and chopped. Add some spices, stone ground mustard and cream cheese and chill this mixture for about an hour. Form balls, I used my cookie scoop, and roll in flour, egg and milk mixture and bread crumbs. Give them a quick fry in the skillet, before serving hot. Serve along side your favorite dip if you desire, but personally I think they are perfect just the way they are!
For those of you who have been to or come from Nebraska, like, me, you will appreciate that my family thought they were similar to a Runza!
- 2 bratwurst, removed from their casings, crumbled
- 4 Tablespoons minced onion
- 1 (14 ounce) can Frank's Kraut, drained and chopped fine
- 1 cup + 1 Tablespoon seasoned breadcrumbs
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 4 ounce cream cheese
- 1 heaping teaspoon stone ground mustard
- ⅓ cup flour
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- vegetable oil for cooking
- Cook sausage and onion in a skillet until meat is cooked through. Drain any grease. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cream together cream cheese, garlic powder, parsley and mustard.
- Add 1 Tablespoon bread crumbs and sauerkraut to the sausage mix.
- Add in cream cheese mixture and stir to combine,
- Place in the fridge to chill for an hour or two.
- Whisk together egg and milk.
- Using a cookie scoop, form balls of mixture. Roll in flour, then coat in egg mixture then roll in breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in a skillet, brown the balls on all sides.
- Place on a paper towel to drain excess grease.
- Serve hot.
Love sauerkraut like us? Check out ALL of my Sauerkraut Recipes today!
Here are a couple more great appetizers using sauerkraut:
Follow along with Frank’s Kraut on their social medias to get delicious recipes year ’round!