Soft dark chocolate molasses cookies, roll them in hazelnuts or sprinkles — and enjoy!
We are well into cookie season here on the blog. Today, though, is one of my favorite events at the holidays. It’s time for a special edition of Freaky Friday!
Freaky Friday is a blog hop that a bunch of my best blogger friends and I do once per season, and then there is this one that we do before Christmas where the blog hop centers around holiday treats. Think cookies, bars, candies you would put on a holiday platter, or take to a cookie exchange with your friends.
We are secretly assigned one another’s blogs to bake from, then today, all at the same time, we reveal our recipe and the blogger that we had. It’s a great way for us to get a fantastic new recipe and for you to meet some great food bloggers you may not have otherwise had the chance to.
This round I was lucky to have been assigned a delightful blog called Hostess At Heart. Julie, the hostess with the mostess and I have SO much in common, it’s rather crazy. Julie started her blog to share recipes with friends and family, loves to entertain, and get this — lives RIGHT HERE in my hometown. Can you believe we have never met? Julie — we need to do lunch!
While browsing Julie’s blog, I found this recipe for Citrus Carrot Cookies. They sounded amazing, but I opted for these Dark Chocolate Molasses. Put the words “dark chocolate” in front of anything and I am game! While I was looking at cookie recipes, I found a couple of others that I will soon be trying. Her Spiced Apple Star Bread is not only GORGEOUS, but looks so delicious! On the savory side — how about this Hatch Chile & Bacon Mac and Cheese?
Back to the cookies. These cookies are so soft, and the combination of molasses and dark chocolate is something I had ever considered, but wow! It really works. I rolled some of them in hazelnuts like Julie instructed, and some in Chocolate Jimmies.
They were a hit at our house, I hope that you enjoy them, too!
- 3½ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup dark cocoa powder
- 1½ cup butter, softened
- 1¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup molasses
- For rolling: chopped hazelnuts, sprinkles, chocolate jimmies, powdered sugar
- In a bowl, sift together: flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In your mixer, beat butter until light and fluffy. (about 3 minutes) Add in sugars, vanilla and eggs, mixing between each addition. Add molasses and beat until combined.
- Gradually add sifted dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll dough into 1- 1½ inch balls. Roll in hazelnuts, or the topping of your choice, and place on baking sheets, two inches apart.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes.
- Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet and then remove parchment paper to a cooling rack. Cool completely.
- Store in an air tight container.