Easy to make, Chocolate Pudding Poke Cake. Devil’s food cake, chocolate pudding and whipped cream.
A couple of weeks ago we spent the week at Table Rock Lake in Missouri with my sister and brother-in-law. It’s about a 7 hour drive from where we live, and we knew we would arrive in the afternoon, ready to get on the water.
I decided I wanted to have a dessert to go with dinner that night when we came back in, so I started thinking about what I could make that would transport easily.
Back in April I made this Coconut Pudding Poke Cake, and it was a huge hit! I thought, I bet if I made the cake part, I could throw the rest of it together easily when I get there. Guess what? It worked! I decided, though, this time we would make a chocolate version!
I baked up the Devil’s Food cake, poked the holes and covered it up with plastic wrap. When we arrived, I made the pudding, and put it all in the fridge. It was ready and waiting when we got home.
My brother-in-law said it was the best chocolate cake he had ever eaten!!
Give it a try!
- 1 box Devil's Food cake mix + eggs, oil and water to prepare according to package instructions
- 4 cups milk
- 2 (3.4 ounce) boxes of chocolate pudding
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, prepared OR 1 -16 ounce container of non-dairy whipped topping
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips, for topping (or you could do chocolate curls)
- Prepare cake according to package instructions in a 9x13 baking dish. Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- While cake is baking, prepare the two boxes of chocolate pudding with the four cups of milk. Place in fridge until ready to use.
- When cake has cooled a few minutes, with the handle of a wooden spoon (or something similar in size) make poke holes all over the cake, poking all of the way down to the bottom of the pan.
- Pour the pudding mixture over the warm cake, using the back of a spoon to spread the pudding over the top, making sure it gets down in the holes. Place cake in the refrigerator to completely cool.
- Spread prepared whipped cream or non-dairy topping over the top off pudding, sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve, and keep in the refrigerator.