Ham, chicken and rice baked win a creamy sauce with melted Swiss cheese – perfect for using leftover chicken or ham, perfect weeknight meal.
The week after Easter, we had some leftover ham that was was begging to be turned into something delicious. I initially planned to make my Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole, the one that is my “go-to” for leftover ham, but I decided to switch it up a bit and add rice. My family LOVES rice, and we eat it 2-3 times per week. We especially love it when it’s baked in a casserole, and many of us love that bit of crunchy rice around the edge of the pan the most.
This casserole is super easy, and the prep took me about 10 minutes. It baked up in my 9×13 Pyrex baking dish in about 35 minutes. This would be an easy one to make ahead for those nights when you need something to just pop in the oven quick, and the leftovers are GREAT the next day.
A rotisserie chicken works great for the cooked chicken, and if you don’t have any leftover ham laying around — grab what you need from the deli, and you’re on your way to a yummy, family friendly meal!
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 cups chopped ham
- 2 cups prepared rice (I used Minute rice)
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon parsley
- 1½ cups Swiss cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
- Spread prepared rice into the bottom of the pan. Top with shredded chicken and chopped ham.
- Stir together sop, sour cream, chicken stock, mustard and parsley until combined. Fold in shredded cheese. Spread over the top of rice, ham and chicken.
- Cover and bake 25 minutes. Remove cover and bake 10 minutes more.