Three delicious layers, Nilla wafer crust, lemon cheesecake center and a lemon white chocolate chip cookie top. A lemon lovers dream come true!
I was fortunate to receive a whole bunch of lemons from my cousin’s tree in San Diego about a week ago. You all know how much I LOVE my lemons!
I knew they were coming, my mom and her husband spend about 6 weeks in San Diego every winter. She stops to visit her cousin, and always brings me back lemons and avocados. When I signed up to make a cheesecake for this fun round up called #SixteenCheesecakes, I decided I wanted to use some of my lemons!
Instead of a traditional cheesecake, I decided to make cheesecake bars. I had found this recipe on Pinterest a while back, and knew this was what I wanted to do!
These cheesecake bars are so good, they should be illegal! The bottom is a crust made of Nilla Wafer cookies, the middle, a perfectly creamy lemon cheesecake, and the top? … Well, the top is a lemon white chocolate chip cookie layer, that makes this all just pure lemon love.
I can’t wait any longer … let’s get on to that recipe!
- For the Crust:
- 60Nilla Wafers (2 cups) , crushed
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 stick butter, melted
- Cheesecake Layer:
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- zest of one lemon
- Cookie Topping:
- 1½ sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¾ teaspon vanilla extract
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cup flour
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 (11 ounce) package White Chocolate morsels
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 13x9 baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
- To make the crust: In your food processor, pulse Vanilla Wafer cookies with sugar until fine crumbs. Add in melted butter and pulse again until combined.
- Firmly Press crumbs into the bottom of prepared baking dish.
- To make the cheesecake filling: Beat cream cheese, sugar, eggs, lemon extract and lemon zest using the whisk attachment of your stand mixer. Beat until light and fluffy and smooth (about 4 minutes). Pour filling over Vanilla wafer crust.
- To make the cookie dough: Beat butter and sugar for 2 minutes. Add in egg, vanilla and lemon zest and beat once again until combined. Add in baking powder, salt and flour, mixing until incorporated. Fold in white chocolate morsels. Using your fingers, grab small portions of dough, and flatten with your fingers, placing over the top of the cheesecake layer. Continue until covered completely.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until top is lightly browned. The center will still be kind of jiggly. Allow to cool completely. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours (preferably overnight). Slice and serve chilled.
What is #SixteenCheesecakes ?
Last year Camilla at Culinary Adventures with Camilla rallied some blogging friends to help her celebrate her 15th wedding anniversary. She was only looking for fifteen cheesecake recipes. But we posted waaaaaay more than #FifteenCheesecakes.