Comforting casserole with potatoes, sausage and cheese. Perfect for dinner, but would also be good for breakfast!
I have been browsing through my cookbook collection on a regular basis lately and I many of them are currently cluttered with post it notes on recipes I want to try. I found this one in a cookbook called Church Suppers. The same one I found that Mashed Potato Bake I shared with you a couple of weeks ago.
I promised to add more casseroles to my collection, so when I run across one that sounds good, I have to try it out. I did switch this up some, and next time I make it, I want to try it with hash browns in place of the cut up potatoes. It would be fantastic for breakfast.
As a food blogger, I do my best to make my photos look appetizing. Sometimes I don’t have near the time I would like to take photos, or the perfect light, but I do my best to make them look as good as they taste. One thing I hate taking photos of is casseroles. Face it, they taste wonderful and smell wonderful, but they typically don’t look terribly appetizing on a plate, right? Well, to my horror about a year ago, a really big recipe page shared my recipe and photo for my Chicken Tortilla Casserole. That stuff rocks! It’s so good, but again, hard to do it justice with a photo. Some guy wrote below it that it looked like something his dog threw up. Really, dude? People are mean, you guys. They can be REALLY mean. Who would have thought that you would need such a thick skin to share recipes? But you do.
Trust me when I say, this may not look like the prettiest thing I have ever shared, but it is delicious, and super easy. So I think we are winning already.
The recipe called for “cut up potatoes” – I had a bag of the small Ruby Gold in the fridge, and used them. I loved the color they added, because I left the skins on.
I added a can of mushrooms, too. Because, well, I add mushrooms to most everything! Ha!
Bake it up and served it with warm biscuits for Breakfast, Dinner, Brinner .. whatever you want!
- 1 pound pork sausage
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 can (10.75 ounce) cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups potatoes, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
- 1½ cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2-3 Tablespoons chives
- Spray a 1½ quart casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown sausage with ½ cup onion and red pepper flakes until cooked and crumbled. Drain excess fat.
- Stir together soup, milk, mushrooms, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Place half of potatoes in the bottom of the casserole. Top with half of soup mixture, top with half of sausage, Repeat layers ending with sausage, dot with butter.
- Cover with foil and bake for 11/4 - 1½ hours, or until potatoes are tender. Remove foil, sprinkle with cheese and chives, bake until cheese is bubbly.