Easy to make, beautiful presentation, this chocolate and cherry Black Forest Cake is sure to get rave reviews!
I made this Black Forest Cake for our Christmas dinner at my in-laws. I LOVE cherry desserts at Christmastime, and around Valentine’s Day, too. I decided to save it and share it with you smack dab in the middle of BOTH holidays!
I love cherry pie filling, don’t you? I could eat the stuff with a spoon! My Aunt has an amazing Jell-o recipe that using cherry pie filling and cherry Jell-o ~~ You can sneak a peek at the recipe HERE.
I knew I wanted to make something with cherries, and you can never go wrong with chocolate. This recipe was super duper easy to make, and started with a devil’s food cake mix. The center is cherry pie filling and the top is cool whip. I shaved some milk chocolate over the top to dress it up a bit, and Voila! I was done!
This dessert was a big hit, the only drawback was the crappy pictures I got of it when I cut it. I transported this cake to my in-laws, a little over an hour away, and when I cut it it was late at night, and the lighting was TERRIBLE — so use your imagination, because this was, sadly, the best photo I got of a sliced piece.
- 1 (15.25 oz) Devils Food Cake Mix
- 1½ cups water
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 3 eggs
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 (21 oz) can cherry pie filling
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 12 ounces cool whip
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 15x10x1 baking sheet. Line with foil and grease foil. Set aside.
- Using your mixer beat together cake mix, water, eggs and almond extract for 2 minutes.
- Pour into your baking sheet. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Gently lift cake form pan with foil and cool on a wire rack.
- Mix almond extract with cherry pie filling.
- Cut cake in half to make 2 (10x7-inch) layers. Place one layer on your serving dish, top with pie filling. Place remaining layer on top.
- Frost top and sides with cool whip. Refrigerate until ready to eat.