This taco salad is famous in our family. It’s easy to make and full of yummy veggies, beans, beef and cheese, crushed Doritos are mixed in and then it’s topped with a tangy Italian dressing.
If my sister-in-law Sue asks “What should I bring?” 95% of the time she gets a resounding
This salad is legendary among my kids, her kids … pretty much everyone.
It’s perfect to take to a gathering, whether it be a cookout, a tailgate, or a large family event. It always disappears quickly, and it feeds a crowd!
Last week, we spent time with Sue and her husband at their new lake home. Long story … but our vacation we had planned got completely messed up at the last minute. Our kids were packed and ready to go, and it’s safe to say I was in tears and feeling like I had no options. (It’s hard to book a week’s vacation at a lake the day before ) Sue and Jake graciously offered up their home to the 7 of us. They dropped what they were doing for the week and joined us. We had a GREAT time with them! Sue and I made dinner every night, and of course, when it was “Hamburger Night” and she asked what we were having with it, suggested her taco salad, my kids boomed “YES!!!”
This is one of those recipes that doesn’t have a recipe. Know what I mean? It’s pretty much one she can make with her eyes closed, and it’s based on how it tastes. I stood over her, and measured as she prepared it, and new I have the recipe! (AND you do, too!)
- 1 large head of iceberg lettuce, ripped into bite sized pieces (can sub Romaine)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1.5 pounds lean ground beef, browned and drained
- 1-2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 can (15 ounce) dark red kidney beans, drained
- ½ of 1 (12 ounce) bag Nacho Cheese Doritos , crushed
- ½-3/4 cup Wishbone Italian Dressing
- Brown ground beef with salt and pepper in a skillet, and drain off any excess fat. Set aside.
- Rip lettuce into a large bowl. Add tomatoes, kidney beans, beef and cheese. Toss.
- Right before you are ready to serve, add cheese and dressing. (start with a ½ cup add more if needed) Toss.
- Mix in crushed Doritos, and serve immediately.