This post is sponsored by Frank’s Kraut, but my love and opinion of their delicious sauerkraut is all my own!
May is National Burger Month. It’s time to fire up the barbecue grills and get the family together for some outdoor fun and outdoor eats!
I love coming up with recipes for new ways to make age-old favorites. So, when I was contacted by Frank’s Kraut to make a Reuben Burger for National Burger Month, I jumped at the chance!
If you don’t know what a Reuben is, it’s a sandwich made of corned beef, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese and Thousand Island Dressing on grilled rye bread. Ironically, the Reuben was said to originate right here in my hometown of Omaha, Nebraska. It was served at the Blackstone Hotel in 1920. Needless to say, you can find Reubens or variations of them on menus all over now. In fact, March 14th is actually “National Reuben Day.”
Frank’s Kraut actually found me when I posted a “How To” on making Polish Sausage & Sauerkraut like my grandma always did. I have never purchased another brand of kraut in my life. I am Polish, so, trust me, that is saying something! Their product is always fresh, and always tastes delicious. I love the 2 pound bags, like you see here. It’s also available in cans. The best part, it lasts for quite a long time in the fridge. I took the rest of this bag, and placed it in a canning jar in my fridge. It’s going to make the perfect topper to our grilled hot dogs next weekend!
These burgers were super easy, and you should have heard the “mmm’s” and the “yums” that were coming from my family!
While the burgers were grilling, I warmed together my Kraut and my corned beef. I used deli corned beef, but this would be a perfect way to use up any leftovers when you make a corned beef meal.
I was fortunate to find rye buns at my local grocery store.
If you can’t find them you can, of course, use a regular bun, or serve it on toasted rye bread.
Thanks to Frank’s Kraut for supplying me with their yummy sauerkraut to make this EPIC BURGER!
- FOR THE BURGERS:
- 1.5 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 Tablespoons Thousand Island Dressing
- 2 Tablespoons chopped dried onion
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1½ cups Frank's Sauerkraut
- 1½ cups chopped Corned beef
- FOR SERVING:
- 6 Rye buns
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- Thousand Island Dressing
- Combine burger ingredients together, form into 6 patties. Grill or pan fry until done. Top with Swiss cheese and melt.
- In a small saucepan, warm corned beef and kraut while burgers are grilling.
- Butter insides of rye rolls and toast in a skillet or on the grill.
- Build the burger: Place burger with melted cheese on bottom bun. Top with a heap of kraut/corned beef mixture. Drizzle with Thousand Island dressing. Add top bun and serve.
Find Frank’s Kraut
On the Web: http://www.sauerkraut.com/
Love Kraut like we do?
Here are some more scrumptious recipes I made with Franks’ Kraut:
How will YOU celebrate National Burger Month?